We want leaders who get stuff done! Executing, getting results, creating value, and driving change are the hallmarks of leaders today. Those who achieve dramatic results AND accomplish them in the right way (building people and creating lasting value) – are guided by a clear and authentic philosophy of leadership.
This is NOT done by picking, choosing and mashing together the most popular bits from the latest leadership theories, it’s through developing your own personal, authentic philosophy and at the core, are your values and beliefs.
Having, and being able to clearly articulate (e.g., in 3 minutes on the whiteboard!), helps you focus your efforts and fine tune your personal interactions. It is the guiding light during your darkest hours, and an insurance for your colleagues, that you will respond and behave in a consistent, effective, and predictable way…avoiding threat response in the people around you and making great decisions for you and your team!
A coach or thinking partner can provide the space and reflection time for you to develop your personal leadership philosophy. Here is a starting point…
- As a leader, what do you most value when things are going well?
- As a leader, what do you most value when the chips are down?
- What is the contribution you want to make as a leader?
- What makes you distinct as a leader?
- What do you believe about people?
- How do you want to treat people to get the best from them?
- How do you best influence others?
- What do you do to continually build your leadership capacity?
- What do you expect from people, and what can they expect from you?
- What do you want your leadership legacy to be?
Whatever role you play in your organisation, spending a few minutes answering these questions and crafting your personal philosophy of leadership will yield exponential rewards.
You will achieve the right results in the right way, and will skilfully navigate the pressures, temptations and frustrations of day-to-day business operations and leave the leadership legacy you can be proud of!
Contact Michelle now if you or your team see value in taking the time to create and articulate YOUR leadership philosophy.